Learn about benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a common condition that affects the prostate gland in men. Discover the symptoms, causes, and treatment options available to manage BPH.
Introduction of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a condition that affects the prostate gland in men.
- BPH occurs when the prostate gland grows in size, putting pressure on the urethra and causing symptoms such as difficulty urinating, weak urine flow, and frequent urination.
- While BPH is not a life-threatening condition, it can cause discomfort and interrupt a person’s quality of life.
Symptoms of BPH:
- Difficulty starting or stopping urination
- Weak urine flow
- Frequent urination, especially at night
- Difficulty emptying the bladder completely
- Pain or discomfort during urination
- Blood in the urine
Causes of BPH:
- Aging is the most common cause of BPH. As men age, the prostate gland tends to grow in size.
- Genetics can also play a role in the development of BPH.
- Hormonal changes in the body such as an increase in dihydrotestosterone (DHT) can also cause BPH
- Medications: Alpha-blockers and 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors are common medications used to manage the symptoms of BPH.
- Minimally invasive procedures: TUNA, TUMT, and PVP are a few common procedures to reduce the size of the prostate gland
- Surgery: Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is a surgical procedure that is commonly used to treat BPH. This procedure involves removing a portion of the prostate gland to relieve pressure on the urethra.
- BPH is a common condition that affects the prostate gland in men.
- While it is not life-threatening, it can cause symptoms such as difficulty urinating, weak urine flow, and frequent urination, which can be uncomfortable and interrupt a person’s quality of life.
- There are a variety of treatment options available to manage BPH, including medications, minimally invasive procedures, and surgery. Consultation with a urologist will help find the best treatment option which is suit for your condition.